Part 2 of my "creative writing" on English class. I have to hurry up, or I may not be able to finish it on time...




When I finished my meal and went to pay my bill, I asked Bob about the strange man.


"Oh, I'm just about to tell you that. That guy claimed to be a detective. Funny, huh? That outfit of him, say, is just like that one of Dick Tracy's. Oh, that's not the point. He asked me whether I knew where you were on 8 PM on March 22nd or not. And you know what he was up to? "Bob lowered his voice to a hiss."It seems that he thinks you are involved in the kidnapping of Janet Cole."


My heartbeat speeded up a little. The kidnapping of Janet Cole...


Janet Cole, the 22-year-old college student disappeared on her way home on March 22nd. The kidnappers asked 200,000 dollars for releasing her. The police didn't catch them when they took the money away; in fact, no one saw how they got the money. It's just like the money vanished in the air, and the unconscious girl popped up at the same place. Because she had lost her consciousness, she couldn't give any information about the criminals. The investigation hadn't made much progress ever since the girl was released - at least that's what the police told the mass media.


But how come did I become a suspect?


I tried to hide my tension from my face. But it seemed that I failed.


"Now, now, dude, don't worry!" Bob noticed my nervous look. "You are absolutely innocent! Me and the others can prove it for you, I told that guy. You have a - What do they call that? Oh, alibi. You've got a perfect alibi. You, Tom, Richard and I- We had a nice chat here on that night. Richard took a picture of all four of us, remember?"


Yes, I remembered. Tom, Richard and me - we are all regular customers of Emily, and good friends of Bob's. That night we had dinner and a long talk together. Richard brought his new Polaroid with him and we decided to take a picture together. Bob took the photo and pinned it on the notice board behind the counter. On the photo there were signatures of all four of us and...


"Yeah, the date! Those bright little red digits on the bottom-right corner clearly show that you were with us on March 22nd, 8:30 PM. All three of us can prove it. And we have this photo. I remember that Richard even checked the date before taking the picture. Well, I showed the photo to our dear Mr. Detective and told him all these things. He seemed to finally understand and went away without arguing. At least he's a sensible man. You can't run about pointing finger at anyone and says that he's a suspect, I say..."


I didn't listen to what Bob was chattering on. Yes, I have witnesses, and a photo to be evidence. It was clear that I was here, miles away from the road Janet Cole always walks home, when the kidnappers got the poor girl. Nothing to be worried about...



783 words so far, and I have told about half the story in my mind. Maybe it will end up to be exact 1,500 words?

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home