Last week I finished reading the simplified version of Emma, the classic novel by Jane Austen. I spent about a day reading it, then I decided that I would get a copy of the original version some other day.


The story is very simple. Emma Woodhouse, the heroine of this novel, was a "handsome, clever, and rich" young woman. She was in charge of nearly everything at home, and had power over her friends. She thought that she was always right, as people around her agreed with her most of the time. After her governess, Miss Taylor, got married and moved away.With no one giving Emma proper advice, Emma started to get invovled with matchmaking for people around her. And her conceit eventually led to a devastating result. At the end of the story, Emma finally recoginized her fault, and got her own happiness: being married to Mr. Kightley, who has been her good friend and was the only one that ever told her she was wrong.


But to me, it seems like too many details were removed from this retold version. Maybe it was because I read too fast and become heedless, but I was really surprised when Mr. Kightley told Emma that he loved her. In all the previous chapters, Mr. Kightley had always behaved like a cousin or an older brother of Emma (at least in my opinion). The ending seems too abrupt to me, so I decided to find the original version to read again. There might be more description about how Emma and Mr. Kightley's feelings to each other change to love in the original. I guess so.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home